Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Rep. Chisum Needs to Check his Sources

A couple of weeks ago, I told you about Texas state representative Warren Chisum and how he distributed a memo to the rest of the state house claiming that modern science is nothing more than a Jewish cult, and that the website fixedearth.com proves it (you should check the website out, but be ready for the obnoxious clash of text colors and the even more obnoxious ideas). More importantly, the website has a number of anti-semitic remarks. This, as the Dallas Morning News reports, quickly caused Chisum to change his tune. In his defense, Chisum said:


"The stuff that causes conflicts between religious beliefs, you know, I'd never be a party to that. I'm willing to apologize if I've offended anyone."


How absent-minded can you be? He officially distributed something without even checking the information it contained. Is he really that desperate to remove evolution that he distributes the first thing that comes across his desk? Good job Texas, this is one of the men making your laws.

I suppose Chisum must have assumed the memo was legitimate enough, since it originally came from Georgia state representative Ben Bridges. It makes me wonder just how fundamentalist Bridges must be. I wonder if he actually believes the nonsense from fixedearth.com? Of course, I shouldn't assume Chisum disagrees with it either since he supports teaching Creationism in public schools. With that, you never know how far his beliefs go. This might just be an effort to save face. Silly Republicans.

No comments: