Tuesday, October 17, 2006

About Me

Well, since you've found your way here, I guess I'll tell you a little about myself so you know what you'll find here. I'm generally laid back and try to stay moderate and open-minded on things, but recent years have kind of challenged my neutrality as far as politics and religion is concerned. I've grown opposed to the current conservative majority that seems to grow everyday in this country. I've realized more and more that I do not believe in the opinions and issues that the Religious Right seems determined to force on this country through their well-funded lobbying of the Republican Party. More than anything, I'm concerned with how the Religious Right wants to destroy many of our essential civil rights to recreate a historical era of Christian values that never actually existed. As you might have gathered, I am not a Christian. I used to be, but the more I learned about world history and other cultures, the more I began to doubt. Then I actually read the Bible. What I found there horrified me. Any despicable, intolerant act can be justified with that ancient text. Besides, it contradicts itself throughout and conveys no consistant message. That ended my faith in Christianity and caused me to put the "Greatest Story Ever Told" in the same classification as the Iliad: good for understanding ancient cultures, but not much else. Since I don't think that any other form of religion has it right either, I found Atheism to be the most "right " for me. The intellectual freedom it gives me is priceless. It has allowed me to see the world in a new light, and better understand how the world actually works. I'll probably get into it more on a future post, but that's enough for now.

In short, here you'll find liberal arguments to preserve the US Constitution as the secular document the Founding Fathers intended it to be. I may even groan a bit over the intolerances of fundamental religion. Anyway, you may disagree with everything I have to say, but I hope you at least learn something....

No comments: