Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Best Pro-Choice Argument I've Seen in a While

There's nothing like personal experience to put a debate in context. More often than not the pro-choice/pro-life debate comes down to nothing more than rhetoric and ideology, particularly on the pro-life side of the debate. That's one reason I don't like to get involved in abortion debates. There's simply too much emotion involved. Plus, I'm a male, so I don't think it's my place to decide what a woman does with her body, anyway. However, the aspect that most pro-lifers tend to forget is how their desired results would affect the actual people involved.

I came across a heart-wrenching post (thanks to Pharyngula) about a husband who had to struggle with this very problem. In it, the author relates an instance where his wife and he did not want an abortion, but complications made it increasingly likely the mother would die without one, and, due to her condition, placed the decision squarely on the husbad's shoulders. More than anything, it shows how government involvment in a difficult time would simply make it even worse.

It's an eye-opening article, so check it out.

2 comments:

vjack said...

I hear you about feeling like as a male you have little right to dictate what women should do with their bodies. This is exactly what motivates me to do what I can to make sure that women retain reproductive rights. No woman is going to be forced to have an abortion, so the Christian extremists can continue brainwashing their own. However, I want to protect the right of all women to make their own decision about such matters.

Unknown said...

Exactly. I certainly woul not like someone telling me what to do with my body. Why should women not get the same priviledge?